Friday, March 9, 2012

Practicing Patience While Waiting

So I scheduled the first of many appointments today, which was for Genetics Counseling. They want to take a closer look to see if I am a carrier of the "cancer gene". No, I do not have a family history of breast cancer.

No MRI has been scheduled just yet. It has to coincide with "that time of month", so there is nothing I can do about it right now. Oh well.

I have also reached out and spoken with cancer survivors that have already made such a positive impact on me. One of which works on campus with me. She had a double mastectomy with reconstructive surgery and was proud to show me her "new boobs" in her tank top. She also gave me her contact information for anytime I needed advise or a pep-talk. So many inspiring people with inspiring stories with the best attitudes on life. I know this is just the beginning of many survivors I will be meeting over the next several months.

Since I've received the news of my diagnosis, I can honestly say I have embraced the saying "don't sweat the small stuff". There is definitely "bigger fish to fry" and the little piddly things all of sudden don't matter. If you are a survivor reading this, then you completely understand. Don't get me wrong, I still fear the unknown, but I am not stressing over it. I am keeping with my routine in life and not letting this slow me down right now. Although, I'm still needing me-time to absorb all the information I have been given over the past couple days....and to organize my life. I cannot thank each of you enough for the up-lifiting words of support!!! It has helped me so incredibly much over the past 36 hours. It is GREATLY appreciated more than you will ever know. So for now, I'm just taking one day at a time and embracing life.

Hey cancer, I CrossFitt and can dead-lift more than you, so take that you sucker! =)


2 comments:

  1. There is no doubt in my mind that you will punch this out. You are such a fighter...wonder where you get that! I know have the word CAN'T isn't even in your vocabulary. Miss you and love you so much!!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, I don't get intimidated very easily. I'm ready to fight this battle and hopefully make more women aware of their bodies. Besides, Longhorn football season is just around the corner and I am going to need all my strength to yell at the TV.

      Delete