Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The End is Near


I couldn't have found a better quote to describe my life as it is. When I initially was diagnosed on March 7, 2012 my entire world as I knew it turned upside down. Looking back, I realized I was on a 4 month adrenaline rush stacked with doctor's appointments, support groups, work, more doctor's appointment and more doctor's appointments. Of course I could have easily locked myself in the bathroom to shut out the world, but you all know that's not my style (unless I was having a serious side effect from Tamoxifen ha!). I decided to let my faith carry me. Despite everything I have been through, nothing but good things have come from the experience. And for this I am filled with gratitude, love, and peace. The relationships most important to me have flourished, and I've moved pass the stale friendships. As a person, I feel I am finally living life and absorbing every little moment. I thank God everyday for not only giving me another chance at life but for my health mentally, physically and emotionally. The reality is, it's all coming to a bitter sweet end and I couldn't have planned it any better way.

I went back to work when the school year began September 4th, and I forgot how much I enjoyed my career. I can't believe October is half over and soon it will be Thanksgiving then Christmas, but I am enjoying each day as it comes. Although I was pretty tired the first couple of weeks getting back into the old routine, I soon overcame the struggle. My stamina and physical strength have exceeded my expectations over the past couple of months, and I couldn't be more satisfied of my progress. I am physically stronger than before surgery, although push-ups are still very tough for me. My stamina and endurance took a little longer, but with persistence and patience it has slowly returned. 

The end of September I decided to run in the Komen Race for The Cure 5K. I had not run that distance since the beginning of May. The days leading up to it I was only able to run 1 mile. It was a little frustrating, however I reset my thinking to "hey I just ran a mile!".  With this, my goal was to run at least the first 1.5 miles of the race without stopping. I am very proud to say I ran the ENTIRE race without stopping once....AND at a good pace too. :) The emotional moment of the day had to be the last 400 meters of the race. I came upon a fellow survivor that stopped running to walk. I decided to run beside her to motivate her to finish strong. We ran the last bit together, and she gave me the biggest hug when we crossed the finish line together and couldn't thank me enough. She had been 6 weeks out from surgery herself and dug deep to finish the way she did. Needless to say I was filled with gratitude, joy, and excitement.

Earlier that same week I accomplished yet another small defeat. If you have been following my blog, then you know about the CrossFit WOD Grace. I am very proud to say I completed the WOD as RXd! It may have been a little slow, but I finished all 30 clean and jerks at 95#. Another empowering moment added to this chapter. :)

As for the medical side of things, I am finally done with the expansion process. With a little patience, gratitude and positive thinking I was able to schedule the surgery when I had hoped. On December 20th, 2 days before my Christmas break, I will have the last part of my reconstruction surgery. The expanders will be taken out (thank goodness because they are as hard as oranges) and the implants will be put in place (Merry Christmas to me!). Very happy I won't be missing a lot of work! We will see how the recovery goes, but I am pretty optimistic it will be speedy.

The end is finally near and what a year 2012 has been, but I would not have changed a thing. I've learned a great deal from this entire experience and have met some pretty badass people a long the way. I am humbled by the continued support and encouragement from all my faithful cheerleaders. I am deeply grateful for all the prayers and positive vibes. I'm even more grateful for my wonderful Fiance! I never knew it possible to love a person more and more as each day passes. He has been at my side from day 1 and continues to be my #1 supporter. I thank God every day for leading me to him. I end my blog today with a few simple, yet important words of wisdom, that have become part of my life mantra....


Peace and Love,
Allyson



2 comments:

  1. Going thru some cancer-related materials today, I came across a slip of paper with your blog address on it. I believe we exchanged info at one of the BreastLink Support Group meetings in July??? So glad I was able to take the time today to read thru the entire blog. Your photos and descriptions are VERY insightful and helpful for anyone facing cancer. I will have a lumpectomy after my last chemo on 10/30, but you never know what they will find and what the future holds, so I may need your info myself. We miss you at the Monday support dinner get-togethers. Hope to see you at one before the end of the year.... you will be such an inspiration; everyone remembers you and asks about you each time we meet. Congratulation! You are a survivor and a winner in life!
    Colleen Monahan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cameron,

    I don't have your email address, but feel free to ask me on here.

    ReplyDelete