Monday, April 30, 2012

Let's Get The Ball Rolling

I met with the surgeon this morning, and it mostly went like this....wait 15 minutes, talk to doctor 5 minutes, wait another 15 minutes, talk to doctor 5 minutes, wait 15 minutes, talk to doctor 5 minutes, then all done.

Basically, he and the plastic surgeon were discussing the best way to do my incisions to conserve as much skin as possible without killing it (making sure it gets adequate amount of blood supply). So, I will go in 2 weeks from today to begin series of surgeries. The first surgery will be an outpatient procedure, in which the surgeons will do a sentinal node biopsy to see if the cancer has reached my lymph nodes and the tissue under my nipple. In order to conserve the remaining skin and nipple, they need to remove "some" breast tissue in order for it to form its own blood supply before the actual surgery (to prevent it from dying). Once I have adequately healed, I will go in for the masectomy, where they will then remove the tumors and remaining tissue and insert the expanders.

So we are looking at mid May for the entire process to begin. THANK GOODNESS! I am one day closer to being cured and back on a consistent schedule! =)

I think out of this entire experience, I am most nervous about the pain to follow surgery. Although, according to some survivors in my support group, the pain was minimal and they were back on their feet within a couple days. Thank God for modern medicine! I'm sure I will be getting anxiety as the day nears, but I know I will feel better and be healthy in the end. I have worked so hard over the past year, and I am probably in the best shape I have ever been. The thought of possibly losing some strength frustrates me, yet makes me that much more determined to defy the odds.

"Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goals" 
~ E Joseph Cossman


 XO,
Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment