Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Strength Wins Every Time

As I near the end of my fertility treatment, I can't help but be excited about the future. For 2 weeks now, I have been giving myself daily hormone injections to prepare my body for "the retrieval". I never thought I would ever have to stick myself with a needle, but I must say, I'm now a professional and no longer have a fear of needles. The injections have me feeling tired, bloated, and a little on the irritable and grumpy side. I am sure glad to be done with that part of the process and ready for the next step. I go in tomorrow morning for the procedure and not really looking forward to coming out of the anesthesia (*here's to hoping for no nausea*).

On a different note, I've already been preparing my mind and body for post-surgery recovery. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been completing benchmarks for certain exercises as a "guide" or "goal" to work toward once I've completed all my surgeries and have healed. I am aware of the possibility of losing some upper body strength, but I want to see exactly how much (if any) I will lose after recovery. I think this is a good little experiment to do and hopefully it will motivate me. So far, I have been very pleased with my performance these past 2 weeks. Despite feeling a lack of energy lately, my strength has surprised me.


Yep, that's me maxing out at 205# for back squat....I really shocked myself on this, although I felt very empowered afterward. Not to mention, I was FINALLY able to string 5 pull-ups together! The beginning of April, I had made this one of my goals to reach before surgery. I think I'm digging deep for that inner strength, which drives my determination to not let something like [cancer] beat me. I'm pretty darn proud of this! =)

Time to hit the shower and prepare myself for a restful nights sleep.

Love,
Allyson


No comments:

Post a Comment