Friday, June 1, 2012

Resurfacing "Me"

As my surgery date nears, I can't help be filled with a series of emotion and feeling. For one, a little bit nervous due to all the information I received during my pre-op appointment. Not only did I receive an overwhelming amount of information and forms to initial, but I was advised to fill 3 prescriptions to have ready for my return home. Not just one, but THREE! Oh well, it is what it is, right? One less thing to take care of after surgery. Eagerness is the next emotion. While I understand and have complete confidence in my team of surgeons, I am eager to get this show on the road. I am ready to punch this thing in its core and move forward in life. However, I understand the importance of allowing my body to fully heal to prevent further complications before surgery. Of my current incisions, one is giving me a hard time and not wanting to heal properly, thus I have made every effort to aid in its healing by taking the adequate dietary and lifestyle precautions. NO junk food or working out. Yes, NO WORKING OUT! This is when "frustration" takes place. For those of you who really know me, know how obsessed (for the lack of a better word) I am with my fitness level. I have lost 23 pounds of fat since a year ago, and have gained quite a bit of muscle, in addition to, my strength being at its prime at the age of 33. Which leads me to  determination. I am determined to get through this surgery and healing process safely, so I can return to my daily routine. Keeping up with proper nutrition and dietary habits is key, in addition to, keeping a positive attitude. I am fully aware the recovery takes a while, but being healthy and cancer free is more important. After all, my muscle-memory will get back into the swing of things with a little patience and commitment on my part. Excited would have to be the next emotion. To put it simply, I am excited about the future! Last, I am very humbled by the large network of support near and far I have surrounding me. I know I have mentioned this on several occasions, but I honestly cannot thank each and every one of you enough.


Every breast cancer survivor has their "thing" that aided in their fight and recovery. That "thing" for me would be all of the words of encouragement, support, prayer, good vibes that have come from each of you. It sets a part true friends from those who just care about "socializing". It brings about the raw meaning of friendship. The fact each of you have taken a couple minutes out of your day to reach out to me in your own way, it means the world to me. I try my best to respond to each of you, but sometimes time slips away from me.


Since my time off, I've slipt into an old, but good, habit of reading books again. I've made myself turn off technology and dive into a good book. I have read 5 books in 10 days (YES, FIVE!). I forgot how much I truly enjoyed reading! A side of me that has been dormant for far too long has finally resurfaced....and I am liking it. =) Yes, that means I am getting in touch with my more softer side (if that's hard to believe). This takes me back to my life motto of "everything happens for a reason". As cliche as it is, it's true. 

**The above "pins" are courtesy pinterest**

As much as I would love to ramble on about the thoughts and emotions going through my mind, I must get back to the novel I am reading. I leave you with a fun photo from today's adventure with a dear friend, whose mom is actually a breast cancer survivor. She was able to take off work to attend a special charity bridal event with me, Brides Against Breast Cancer. I don't want to take too much time to go into detail about the cause, but I have posted the link below for your viewing. It's a great cause with an amazing group of supporters. =)

If the healing of the one "pesky" incision has progressed, I am tentatively scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, June 6th at 1:00pm. I will make sure to keep everyone up to date if anything changes. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy my weekend and so should you! =)

XO,
Allyson




No comments:

Post a Comment